Friday 7 November 2014

Adding caster to front

I have changed back to ball diffs, because the geardiffs don't seem so smooth. Since I did not have enough parts to rebuild a rear ball diff, I made some improvements to the standard kyosho rear ball diff.
I got a 8x16x5 bearing, and got my machine shop to make a 16mm sleeve with 19.8mm outer diameter.


 
The bearing slides into the geardiff casing

 
This ball diff is now very smooth.
I also used Lazer ZX-5 7 degree c hubs with 3racing ver2 ZX-5 alloy knuckles. I had to grind the c hubs in the fronts to make sure it will fit into the arms without binding. I am in the process of making a ZX arm that will be a direct fit with ZX-5 c hubs.
7 degree caster blocks with 3 degrees in the arm mounts equal 10 degrees total. this should improve handling. However I find that steering throw is also reduced.
Assembled parts. The front CVD is 3racings 65.5mm and upper turnbuckle is now 50mm.
                                   
Grind the c hub below the angle mark. With my new arms which will be ready next week, no modifications will be needed.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment